Edward Anselm "Eddie" Kessler (played by Anthony Laciura) is Nucky Thompson's kind-hearted and loyal assistant and valet. A German expatriate, he speaks English with a very thick accent. The character is based on the historical person Louie Kessel who was an assistant, bodyguard and driver to the real Nucky (Enoch L. Johnson).
Prior to immigrating to the United States, Kessler was an assistant department store manager in Hannover, Germany. He was married and had two children. He had an affair with a woman who worked in the lingere department at the store and then absconded with her, leaving his wife and children. The woman ended the relationship soon after.
Kessler was the somewhat hapless assistant of current city treasurer Nucky Thompson. As a German immigrant, he performed his duties as required, but routinely misunderstood or was misunderstood by his boss, as well as others. There was often an unintended comical after-effect of his best-of-intentions. Eddie was always on call and ready to provide Nucky with anything he may want or need, be it as common as a chauffeur, or something much more sinister. Interestingly, it was revealed that he carries a pistol, and was a decent shot with it.
After entreating Nucky for more criminal responsibility, Kessler was picked up by federal agents Knox and Hoover at a train station. The agents turned him into an informant with the threat of deportation and the shame of returning to face his abandoned family should Kessler not come through on future requests.
- Main article: Eddie Kessler Season 1
- Main article: Eddie Kessler Season 3
- Nucky Thompson: Employer (deceased)
- Owen Sleater: Colleague, Nucky's driver (deceased)
- Harlan: Colleague, Nucky's shoe shiner
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Manager: Colleague
- Jimmy Darmody: Former driver for Nucky (deceased)
- Margaret Schroeder: Nucky's wife
- Lucy Danziger: Nucky's ex-girlfriend
- Isaac Ginsburg: Nucky's attorney
- Chalky White: African American community leader and bootlegger (deceased)
- Charles Kenneth Thorogood: Nucky's mole in the US Attorney's office
- Harry Daugherty: Attorney General
- Solomon Bishop: State Attorney
- Ralph Capone: Associate
- Mrs. Kessler: Wife
- Conrad Kessler: Son
- Lucas Kessler: Son
- Unnamed grandson, via Lucas
- "It must be a schwartze word."
- Nucky: "You have pie in Germany, don't you?"
- Eddie: "We have strudel."
- "Nucky? Yes, he is nice. Mr. Thompson is a very nice man."
- "You told me to knock in a manly fashion."
- "I know what you mean. You want Schlampe."
- (to a Guardsman making an anti-German comment) "Asshole."
- "James Darmody is dead." ("The Pony")
- "Nucky. Nucky... There is a delivery." ("A Man, A Plan...")
- "I tend only to you. That is all I do. That is my life." ("Two Imposters")
- "Mr. Thompson is part of everything. He's in the sky and sea. He's in the dreams of children at night. He is all that there is, forever." ("Resignation")
|Season one appearances|
|Boardwalk Empire||The Ivory Tower||Broadway Limited||Anastasia|
|Nights in Ballygran||Family Limitation||Home||Hold Me in Paradise|
|Belle Femme||The Emerald City||Paris Green||A Return to Normalcy|
|Season two appearances|
|21||Ourselves Alone||A Dangerous Maid||What Does the Bee Do?|
|Gimcrack & Bunkum||The Age of Reason||Peg of Old||Two Boats and a Lifeguard|
|Battle of the Century||Georgia Peaches||Under God's Power She Flourishes||To the Lost|
|Season three appearances|
|"Resolution"||"Spaghetti and Coffee"||"Bone for Tuna"||"Blue Bell Boy"|
|"You'd Be Surprised"||"Ging Gang Goolie"||"Sunday Best"||"The Pony"|
|"The Milkmaid's Lot"||"A Man, A Plan..."||"Two Imposters"||"Margate Sands"|
|Season four appearances|
|"New York Sour"||"Resignation"||"Acres of Diamonds"||"All In"|
|"Erlkonig"||"The North Star"||"William Wilson"||"The Old Ship of Zion"|
|"Marriage and Hunting"||"White Horse Pike"||"Havre De Grace"||"Farewell Daddy Blues"|