"Peg of Old" is the seventh episode of Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire, and the 19th episode overall. The episode was written by co-executive producer Howard Korder, co-producer Steve Kornacki and staff writer Bathsheba Doran. It was directed by Allen Coulter. It originally aired on 6 November 2011.
Nelson Van Alden is unable to pay Lucy Danziger for the custody of their baby as they agreed. He is also put out when a new prosecutor, Esther Randolph, takes over his office to work on the election rigging case against Nucky Thompson. Lucy goes to Nucky for help with the baby, she explains that Van Alden is the father and Nucky gives her money. Nucky uses the information in an attempt to blackmail Van Alden into spying on Randolph. Lucy leaves the baby with Van Alden and he bonds with her. Van Alden goes to Randolph and gives her his investigative file on Nucky.
Margaret Schroeder travels to Brooklyn to meet with her estranged family, wanting to reconnect with people who know her. She befriends her youngest sister. The visit only deepens the bitter rift with her brother, who refused to help her when she fled Ireland due to the shame of an unplanned pregnancy. She is hurt when he tells her that her family does not know her any more.
Jimmy Darmody hosts a meeting of ascendant gangsters, including Lucky Luciano and Al Capone, to discuss taking over bootlegging across the country. They convince Jimmy to order Nucky's death. Jimmy discusses his regrets about the plan with Gillian who is adamant that he stick to his decision. Jimmy goes to talk to Nucky immediately before the hit. When the gunman open fires, Nucky is shot in the hand and then rescued by the federal investigator who has been following him. Nucky's bodyguard Owen Sleater is not with him because he has gone to murder a traitor to Sinn Féin. When Margaret returns to Atlantic City she sleeps with Sleater.
- Main article: Peg of Old recap
A detailed recap of the episode scene by scene.
First Appearances Edit
- Esther Randolph, Assistant US Attorney.
- Clifford Lathrop, Investigator for the Department of Justice.
- Dick Halsey, a clerk in the Department of Justice.
- Pratt, another clerk in the Departmet of Justice.
- Eamonn Rohan, an Irish subway digger, brother of Margaret Schroeder.
- Nuala Rohan, seamtress, sister of Margaret.
- Bethany Rohan, laundry worker, sister of Margaret.
- Aylesh Rohan, the youngest sister of Margaret.
- Jack "Doc" Kearns, Jack Dempsey's manager.
- Del Grogan, a traitor to the IRA refuged in Atlantic City.
1. Nadia Alexander as Bethany Rohan
11. Mark Havlis as Cab Driver
- Unknown as Vito Scalercio
- David Forman accompanied by Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "So Long Oolong(How Long You Gonna Be Gone" plays as Nucky leaves Jack Dempsey at the beach, Van Alden comes home to Lucy.
- APM studio musician - "Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves" plays as Nucky is talking with Ginsburg about Esther Randolph and Lucy Arrives.
- APM studio musician - "Plaisir d'Amour" plays as Lucy asks Nucky for help.
- Benson Orchestra of Chicago - "Crooning" plays as Gillian dresses and urges her son to make her proud.
- The Gypsy Queen - "In the Good Old Summertime" plays as Nucky tries to blackmail Van Alden for info on Esther Randolph.
- Belgian Band Organ - "My Old Kentucky Home" plays as Nucky tries to blackmail Van Alden for info on Esther Randolph.
- Dan Levinson - "Noodles" plays as Margaret and Eamoinn talk frankly.
- Laurie Dawn - "Lavender Blue" plays as Van Alden return home and finds Mrs. Short taking care of his baby.
- Tito Schipa - "Tu Che Ha Dio Spiegasti L'ali(from "Lucia di Lammermoor")
- APM studio musician - "The Achterhoek Dances" plays as Aylesh opens her present from Margaret; Eamoinn cannot accept money from her.
- Peter Yarin - "Gavotte" plays as Nucky can't find Owen and calls Eddie to pick him up.
- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "Second Hand Rose" plays as Dempsey promotes the wireless radio broadcast for the upcoming boxing fight between himself and George Carpentier.
- John McCormack - "When the Dew is falling" as end credits.
|#01 21||#07 Peg of Old|
|#02 Ourselves Alone||#08 Two Boats and a Lifeguard|
|#03 A Dangerous Maid||#09 Battle of the Century|
|#04 What Does the Bee Do?||#10 Georgia Peaches|
|#05 Gimcrack & Bunkum||#11 Under God's Power She Flourishes|
|#06 The Age of Reason||#12 To the Lost|