"The Age of Reason" is the sixth episode of Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire, and the 18th episode overall. The episode was written by staff writer Bathsheba Doran and directed by Jeremy Podeswa. It originally aired on 30 October 2011.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Margaret Schroeder prepares her son for first communion necessitating a confession of her own to set an example. She admits impure thoughts for Owen Sleater but says nothing of her arrangement with Nucky Thompson. Nucky's election fraud troubles return when a senator pressures the Attorney General to pursue a conviction. At the hospital Nelson Van Alden teeters on the brink of professional and personal confessions as his suspicious subordinate slowly succumbs to third degree burns. Lucy Danziger gives birth alone. Jimmy Darmody is surprised when Lucky Luciano is protecting the liquor shipment he goes to hijack; instead of completing the hijacking Jimmy decides to follow advice from a new source and partners with Luciano to take over Nucky's entire bootlegging operation.
Recap[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The Age of Reason recap
A detailed recap of the episode scene by scene.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
First Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Father Ed Brennan, a Catholic priest at Atlantic City's Saint Finbar's Church.
- Waxey Gordon, Philadelphia crime boss.
- Nathan Klein, a driver working in Waxey Gordon's organization.
- Abigail Van Alden, Nelson Van Alden and Lucy Danziger's daughter.
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- Herman Kaufman - Throat cut by Jimmy Darmody.
- Nathan Klein - Shot by Manny Horvitz.
- Another of Gordon's drivers - Shot early in the hijacking attempt.
Production[edit | edit source]
Cast[edit | edit source]
Co-starring[edit | edit source]
1. Brad Aldous as Photographer
12. McKenna Kerrigan as Nurse
Music[edit | edit source]
- The Rose of Washington Square - "All Star Trio" plays as Van Alden promises to pick up lemons for Lucy.
- APM studio Musician - "Wien Bliebt(Vienna Forever Vienna) plays as Nucky disagrees with Remus on phone.
- Paul Whiteman - "Moonlight" plays as Lucy's water breaks.
- Belgian Band Organ - "Clarinet Polka" plays as Nucky Celebrates being a federal defendant, calls the Attorney General.
- The Darling Madam Laura - "Old Comrades Match" plays as the big meeting between bootleggers takes place to discuss booze shipments from Philadelphia.
- John Philip Sousa - "You're My Baby" plays as Lucy yells to neighbor kid for help.
- Paul Whiteman - "Just a Little Love Song" plays as Jimmy & Angela pass wireless display on boardwalk, he kisses her while spying on Nucky, Waxey and Kaufman.
- Joseph Payne - "Volluntary in D minor" plays as Margaret and Teddy are waiting for their confession.
- Wurlitzer 153 Duplex Band Organ - "The Marine's Hymn" plays as Nucky's angry on phone with Daugherty.
- Electric City 4 - "Beela Boola" plays as Thorogood gets thrown out of the Ritz.
- Billy Murray - "When You Hear That Raggy Refrain" plays as Lucy gives birth.
- Harry Macdonough & The Orpheus Quartet - "Turn Back the Universe and Give Me Yesterday" plays as the photographer takes Teddy's communion portrait.
- Billy Murray - "When You Hear That Raggy Refrain" as end Credits.
Memorable Quotes:[edit | edit source]
"Not every insult requires a response"
Notes[edit | edit source]
|#01 21||#07 Peg of Old|
|#02 Ourselves Alone||#08 Two Boats and a Lifeguard|
|#03 A Dangerous Maid||#09 Battle of the Century|
|#04 What Does the Bee Do?||#10 Georgia Peaches|
|#05 Gimcrack & Bunkum||#11 Under God's Power She Flourishes|
|#06 The Age of Reason||#12 To the Lost|